February 4, 1889: Post Office is established for a town of 400 people
Sam Carlisle stands next to a pull-cart loaded with mail bags in front of the Lafayette Post Office (circa 1910). The Lafayette Post Office, originally located in the 400 block of East Simpson Street, was authorized on February 4, 1889. Home delivery began in 1956 when the population had reached 2,000. James E. Simpson, Jr. was Postmaster at the time this photo was taken.