Building Permits

Work That Requires a Building Permit

A building permit is required for new construction of residential dwellings and commercial buildings as well as any time there is an addition, alteration, repair or conversion to the main structure or an accessory structure. See a list of work that requires a building permit below:

  • All new buildings
  • Basement finish
  • Commercial tenant finish
  • Decks
  • Demolishing a structure*
  • Electrical systems
  • Fences
  • Garage
  • Heating and HVAC - Furnace, air conditioners, evaporative coolers, and water heaters
  • Window replacment with a size change or new opening - a permit is needed
  • Like for like window replacements - no permit needed
  • Mobile home setup
  • Patio covers
  • Plumbing systems
  • Pergolas
  • Reroofs
  • Residential additions
  • Sheds over 120 square feet
  • Siding
  • Signs - Temporary and permanent
  • Hot tubs, pools

If you have any questions about whether a permit is needed, please contact the Building Department at 303-661-1270.

Permit applications can be emailed to

Effective 5-6-19, a permit will not be required for replacing like for like windows. A permit will be required when replacing a window that requires a size change or a new opening.

*There are restrictions related to demolishing a building or structure that is 50 years or older. The Historic Preservation Board Review Team reviews all demo permits for structures 50 years or older. If it is determined that the building may have historical significance, the permit is referred to the Historic Preservation Board for consideration of a stay of issuing the permit. The Historic Preservation Board may issue a stay up to 90 days. The stay may be appealed to the City Council.

Fees & Payments

Fees are based on the estimated value of work being done. Payment is due when permits are issued. You may pay with check, cash, or credit card- Visa or MasterCard only (the city does not accept credit cards over the fax or phone at this time). Note that a 3% fee is charged with credit card payment.

Additional Resources